Ukraine

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
Quiksilver

Ukraine

#481 Post by Quiksilver »

I don't really follow the news (got quite enough to be depressed about in the garden :D ) but is Ukraine still on the fast-track to be accepted into Europe? If it is, and it's accepted, let's just suppose that Putin triumphs. What then? Does the EU impose a full-on declaration of war on Russia? :shock:

Blaze

Ukraine

#482 Post by Blaze »

@Quiksilver Ukraine's joining Europe is still under discussion and these discussions are probably being dragged out as long as necessary pending the outcome of the war. It could be tricky working Ukraine's frontiers so no decision will be made while there is so much uncertainty.

Quiksilver

Ukraine

#483 Post by Quiksilver »

That sounds logical....thanks Blaze :)

Bayleaf

Ukraine

#484 Post by Bayleaf »

I prefer to call it an invasion. Ukraine didn't agree to go to war. I've seen murmurings that if Putain succeeds in "taking over" Ukraine, it could lead to a game changer and the rest of the West could be under threat - who knows what the evil b*stards master plan is, and how to stop him.

I look forward to the day he dies.

Blaze

Ukraine

#485 Post by Blaze »

Bayleaf wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:13 am I've seen murmurings that if Putain succeeds in "taking over" Ukraine, it could lead to a game changer and the rest of the West could be under threat
It's highly unlikely that he would risk the wrath of NATO which would certainly be unleashed should he invade a NATO country. However, Moldova has some limited support for Russia so could be the next target should he succeed in Ukraine. That said, Russia's military resources aren't endless and he would find himself very stretched. There has been so much destruction and whilst there isn't a scorched earth policy, Russia would find little to welcome it in Ukraine. The cost to Russia to rebuild would stretch it even more.

Hotrodder

Ukraine

#486 Post by Hotrodder »

I have heard it said in news reports that Russia's economy is on a very firm footing recently in spite of the sanctions imposed by the west. Those sanctions appear to be mostly against a handful of rich Russians who had their superyachts seized. Those were highly publicised to give the impression that it was hurting Putin/Russia. What would have really hurt Putin/Russia would be to confiscate a large amount of Russian state assets that are in western banks, said to total 200 billion +. Clearly Putin doesn't waste Russia's income on his population. Instead he is putting Russia on a war economy, helped in no small way by the egomaniac in North Korea with the funny haircut.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Quiksilver

Ukraine

#487 Post by Quiksilver »

Bayleaf wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:13 am I prefer to call it an invasion. Ukraine didn't agree to go to war. I've seen murmurings that if Putain succeeds in "taking over" Ukraine, it could lead to a game changer and the rest of the West could be under threat
I'm not condoning Russia's actions, but from their point of view, they're just trying to take back what was theirs, as they did with Belarus. Reconstruct a Russian empire whether the individual states want to be part of it or not. There's a tendency here in the West to think along Hollywoodien lines of 'goodies' and 'baddies'. It's not that clear cut, though.

Blaze

Ukraine

#488 Post by Blaze »

Agreed Quiksilver. Ukraine hasn't been a completely independent state for centuries having been nabbed by Russia under Catherine the Great in the 1770s and it's had a complicated history since then !
It's not really surprising that there are many Russian sympathisers in Ukraine given the instability of borders over time.

exile

Ukraine

#489 Post by exile »

Woah there.

Let's not forget that the Ukrainians voted for a government that was not Russo-directed.

On the basis of your arguments, let's give Alsace Lorraine back to Germany - or maybe the Vatican. Scotland and Wales can give up their devolution and Dublin can resort back to being a province of England. Savoie can go to Italy. The list is endless.

People should have the right of self determination.

Blaze

Ukraine

#490 Post by Blaze »

@exile It's actually trying to understand another point of view - no-one here is suggesting a country or state should be "given" or returned to another, far from it !!

Much of Ukraine's history is tied up with Russia and many Ukrainians still feel a connection with Russia in spite of what the majority might have voted for. For some, their first language is Russian, particularly those living in eastern and south-eastern Ukraine ... unsurprisingly given their past. It's been quite an eye opener meeting Ukrainians here and hearing their views and stories.

Borders between countries and states have changed since time began, and will continue to do so.