Ukraine

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
Blaze

Ukraine

#461 Post by Blaze »

niemeyjt wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:43 am still think those around him are not insane, even if he is.
Agreed. He's in his own imaginary paranoid world and a coup from the inside is the way to go though hard to know who to trust and who would go through with it. This BBC article "Putin's dream of Russian victory slips away in Ukraine" gives a glimpse of the doubts in Russia despite the deranged leader's rhetoric https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63160354

The obsession that the West wants to invade and conquer Russia .... absurd. You only have to go back through history to find that two people tried it and failed miserably.

Wilbro

Ukraine

#462 Post by Wilbro »

I remember the Cuban missile crisis very well. Down in London for the Motor Show at Earls Court and wanted to get away from London as quickly as possible after we had visited the show. Up the A1 back to Yorkshire and seeing a missile site with all the missiles out and pointing skyward was pretty scary. I kept thinking "please don't launch" as it meant it had started.

In the pub that evening and people were worried sick and most thought this was it. Couldn't see a way out but two pragmatic leaders JFK and Krushev sorted it out. Some of the usual military hawks were urging Kennedy to go for the first strike.

If you want to see how close it got read "One Minute To Midnight". It'll scare the pants off you even though you know it didn't happen.
Last edited by Wilbro on Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hotrodder

Ukraine

#463 Post by Hotrodder »

I was still living in the US at the time and generally people were not all that worried about it. Having been brought up with two major threats. A long overdue major earthquake that could supposedly rip California in half, and the constant brainwash that the Russians had a finger hovering over the Big Red Button ready to bring Armageddon at any moment. Most of my generation thought we would be lucky to make it to the age of 30.
I managed to leave the country before the earthquake came, almost disappointed to have missed it. And have managed to clock up over 50 years of life since then without nuclear war. Frankly if it happens now I'm not that bothered as long as the West manages to completely level Russia. The path the world is following at the moment does not bode well for human life, the animals, or the planet itself.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Wilbro

Ukraine

#464 Post by Wilbro »

Everywhere will be levelled and we have family including our daughter so I'm very bothered for her and other peoples sake. Doesn't matter as much for us oldies but for the young, nature, animal life etc. it's not at all welcome.

Blaze

Ukraine

#465 Post by Blaze »

Good news here https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63183404
A large fire on the only crossing between the occupied Crimean peninsula and Russia was caused by a lorry explosion, Russian state media say.
The explosion on the road bridge then led to oil tankers on the rail section catching fire.
Footage showed a train ablaze, with the adjacent road crossing also appearing to have sustained damage.

Reports do vary on the cause and it's not the first time that Russian incompetence has caused damage viz. the Crimean airbase in August. However, putting the Kerch bridge out of action would be a major blow to Russia.

Lori

Ukraine

#466 Post by Lori »

niemeyjt wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:43 am I still think those around him are not insane, even if he is. And even senior politicians are rumoured not to have a place in the shelters - so WW3 is not in their interests.

I put a coup as more likely than WW3.
We were thinking the same thing. It is hard to imagine those around him are willing to sacrifice their families and themselves for a land grab. I think they would have to be very crafty to get to Plootin before he gets to them. I hope they manage.

Nomoss

Ukraine

#467 Post by Nomoss »

Blaze wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:06 am Good news here https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63183404
A large fire on the only crossing between the occupied Crimean peninsula and Russia was caused by a lorry explosion, Russian state media say.
The explosion on the road bridge then led to oil tankers on the rail section catching fire.
Footage showed a train ablaze, with the adjacent road crossing also appearing to have sustained damage.

Reports do vary on the cause and it's not the first time that Russian incompetence has caused damage viz. the Crimean airbase in August. However, putting the Kerch bridge out of action would be a major blow to Russia.
In the report on the Crimean bridge on BFMTV a couple of the commentators were singing "Happy Birthday To You"

niemeyjt

Ukraine

#468 Post by niemeyjt »

A belated Birthday present. Interesting speculation about boats etc under the bridge - the US seems to have belatedly supplied a variety of different Himars ammunition - so who knows?

rabbit

Ukraine

#469 Post by rabbit »

Nord stream 2 blown up. The bridge to Crimea blown up. Seems like the CIA to me

niemeyjt

Ukraine

#470 Post by niemeyjt »

Plausible deniability.

The lorry that blew up was travelling from Russia.