books we've read over the pandemic

Writers can showcase their work and get feedback
Book lovers can discuss and recommend books that they have read
Char
Site Admin

Re: books we've read over the pandemic

#11 Post by Char »

No I think I'll give that one a miss [mention]Spardo[/mention] but I must say it does sound interesting. :)

DaveW

#12 Post by DaveW »

I may have a re-read of the wheel of time - not a small task. The first of the TV serialisation is due in November on Amazon Prime, from what I've read and heard it is supposed to be quite faithful to the books.

Char
Site Admin

#13 Post by Char »

DaveW wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:37 pm I may have a re-read of the wheel of time - not a small task. The first of the TV serialisation is due in November on Amazon Prime, from what I've read and heard it is supposed to be quite faithful to the books.
Hooray I'm not alone. I've read about that, I'm looking forward to seeing it - I'm really hoping it's not a complete lash up, but they seem to be throwing a lot of money at it so it should be good.

Wilbro

#14 Post by Wilbro »

[mention]Spardo[/mention] I downloaded the Mussolini and damn me if I haven't already read it. The first few lines confirmed it. The cover has probably changed from when I first bought it and it must be in my paper library as Kindle tells you if you have already bought the book.

Spardo

#15 Post by Spardo »

Wilbro wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:22 pm @Spardo I downloaded the Mussolini and damn me if I haven't already read it. The first few lines confirmed it. The cover has probably changed from when I first bought it and it must be in my paper library as Kindle tells you if you have already bought the book.
Yes, I have so many, I have made that mistake before but, due to arthritis, haven't read a 'real' book for years so have always been reminded by Amazon. :D

Wilbro

#16 Post by Wilbro »

[mention]Spardo[/mention] Fortunately only £1.99 :D

mysty

#17 Post by mysty »

Apparently this is very good.
Mexican author.
20210808_093239.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doug

#18 Post by Doug »

Just going to start reading, Cloven Hoof series by Heide Goody
About Satin being thown out of hell.
Good write up.

Spardo

#19 Post by Spardo »

Finally finished Mussolini 2 days ago. A mammoth read and heavy going to start with, but, when we got towards and into the war years it was a real eye-opener about his character that I hadn't seen before. Unlike your typical dictators, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot and Kim, he was the mildest of his followers and took action many times when atrocities were committed in the name of Fascism. It didn't convert me to Fascism but I did learn a great deal that it was not at all like Nazism. Dictatorship apart, his main fault was to tie his colours to Hitler's mast, a man he despised and derided, unlike Hitler's opinion of him which was akin to hero worship at some points.

Not lighter, but an easier read, my current book is 'Argentine Fight For The Falklands' by Martin Middlebrook. A very good account of the conflict but written from the Argentine point of view. Interestingly he got unstinting support from politicians, the Navy and the Army, but nothing from the Argentine Air Force, but did manage to interview some of the pilots. One thing that comes through loud and clear, the Argentinians were totally stunned by the British reaction and the lack of universal support from the world community. Even within S. America, silence and tacit help to Britain was a feature. When I was in Brazil and Argentina many years ago, an often heard jibe at Argentinians was that they were 'Italians who speak Spanish but think they are English'. In other words they thought they were a cut above the rest of the sub-continent, a fact that didn't endear them to some. I loved them. ;) :D
Last edited by Spardo on Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MAD87

#20 Post by MAD87 »

I read 10-12 (Kindle) books per month. I watch very little TV, so it's my main entertainment. Like Char, I'm a lightweight - I leave the heavy stuff to OH. I once told a friend of his who's an English professor that I read to be entertained, at which he rolled his eyes and all but indicated that I was brainless.
No French books either as I get enough French in my job. Just novels, especially historical novels.