How many Kva do I need on my electricity contract?

Electricity - French regulations & supplies; Insulation, Brickwork, Roofs, Joinery, Flooring, etc
Headers

#1 Post by Headers »

I’ve been monitoring my linky data for 18 months now.
I have 2 meters (don’t ask) - one with 6 and the other with 12. I have never got anywhere near using this level of power. I could save quite a bit by dropping to 3(if poss) on the little used one and 9 for the main part of the house.
Can anyone shed any light on whether my thinking is flawed please?

exile

#2 Post by exile »

Without saying what appliances you are using on each circuit, it is not possible to give advice.

3kV in a modern world is not a lot. It is what we had when we bought our house. If the kettle or coffee machine was on and the washing machine was at the heating bit of its cycle, the immersion heater kicking in would trip the circuit.

9kV might well be enough for a household using normal appliances but if there are any big bits of machinery that are used (big power saw, log splitter etc.) then you might have to be careful about when they are used.

Headers

#3 Post by Headers »

Thankyou exile. The 6kva circuit is 5 rads lighting and a water heater. Used for visitors rooms. Very rarely.
The 12kva side is the main living area - heating water, oven, fridge freezer etc power tools from time to time. I have never seen the draw go above 3kva in 18 months of monitoring.

MAD87

#4 Post by MAD87 »

We have 6kw, which surprised me when our electrician said it was enough when we first moved to this house. 18kw at our last abode, 9 at our 1st.
We have 2 PCs going 12/24 6/7, washing machine 2 or 3/7 (at night), chauffe-eau 7/7 (at night on timer), microwave, dishwasher after lunch and all the other occasional appliances. Oh yeah, forgot the fridge/freezer and freezer!
Something between 6 and 9 would seem to be sufficient for most households (depending on your heating source) and when you use appliances.
Remember the higher the kilowattage, the higher the standing charge (abonnement).

exile

#5 Post by exile »

3kW might be at the limit with 5 radiators* if they are all in use at once - even if it is only rarely.

* again it is not possible to be definitive without knowing the power of these rads.

OTOH 12kW does seem excessive unless those power tools are heavy power draw. Ordinary hand tools will not be an issue. I would have thought (again without knowing the power draw) 6kW would be sufficient.

Polarengineer

#6 Post by Polarengineer »

The above advice could be good if you are single phase, which it sounds like you have. However, if you are on 3 phase, the linky meter limits the amps on the each phase and lowering the kVA could cause trouble with the linky tripping due to excessive draw on any phase.

Headers

#7 Post by Headers »

Polarengineer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:38 pm The above advice could be good if you are single phase, which it sounds like you have. However, if you are on 3 phase, the linky meter limits the amps on the each phase and lowering the kVA could cause trouble with the linky tripping due to excessive draw on any phase.
we are single phase with HC/hp

RobertArthur

#8 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Headers, about HC/HP., it was an attractive option for consumers. As from august 2010 the picture started changing, a flashback. The heures creuses/heures pleines option is probably cheaper if: electric heating, chauffe-eau électrique, big families (washing machine). The general picture today. Some serious calculations needed. In this example (2018) for a 6 kVA supply the HC/HP tariff is only cheaper than the tarif de base if 45% or more of your consumption is in the so called heures creuses. Small differences in outcome possible of course, but standing charges are quite substantial here in France.

Headers

#9 Post by Headers »

RobertArthur wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:35 pm @ Headers, about HC/HP., it was an attractive option for consumers. As from august 2010 the picture started changing, a flashback. The heures creuses/heures pleines option is probably cheaper if: electric heating, chauffe-eau électrique, big families (washing machine). The general picture today. Some serious calculations needed. In this example (2018) for a 6 kVA supply the HC/HP tariff is only cheaper than the tarif de base if 45% or more of your consumption is in the so called heures creuses. Small differences in outcome possible of course, but standing charges are quite substantial here in France.
We use about 52% on HC. Hot water,dishwasher, washing machine all run overnight. Electric rads will occasionally kick in at night on temperature control. The standing charges are why I’m looking to see if I can reduce the rating to 9kva from 12. I think it’s quite straightforward to do it with the linky installed.