Fig eating Badgers

🦊 Anything to do with Wildlife in France, from insects to birds and moles.
Headers

Fig eating Badgers

#1 Post by Headers »

I went out late last night to call the cat in - we re having trouble with a big black cat that tries to get into the house at night.
I heard a rumpus down the garden. At first I thought it was a boar so I went and found a torch and in the beam were two young badgers snaffling the low hanging figs!
I have often wondered if there were any badgers here. The hunters will kill them so I’m keeping quiet about them.
I told my sister who immediately wanted photos. Sadly I’m no wildlife photographer - especially at night - so I doubt if I’ll manage to provide any evidence.

Quiksilver

Fig eating Badgers

#2 Post by Quiksilver »

They like peaches, too. I baited the ragondin trap with imperfect peaches and found a young male badger in the trap the next day. He'd done a good job of trying to destroy the cage, but must have given up and was curled up asleep when I found him. As you say, they don't stand a chance with the French, so it was one lucky badger who went loping off into the tournesol :D

Hotrodder

Fig eating Badgers

#3 Post by Hotrodder »

Ragondin you say?
Considered a delicacy in some areas.
Coypu barrow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Quiksilver

Fig eating Badgers

#4 Post by Quiksilver »

Apparently they make an excellent pâté :D The way the cost of living is going, I'll be in a position to let you know what it's like the next time I catch one :lol:

Headers

Fig eating Badgers

#5 Post by Headers »

The entertainment in the garden continues. Last night a fox ran across the garden. As I mused about why it was running so fast, 8 marcassin plunged into view like a group of unruly infants on an unsupervised school outing running from one bit of the lawn to another, all stopping to eat the plums that had fallen and then rushing off again toward the brambles. No sign of Mummy Boar.

Polarengineer

Fig eating Badgers

#6 Post by Polarengineer »

You're late Headers, my plums fell ages ago.

Quiksilver

Fig eating Badgers

#7 Post by Quiksilver »

Too much information, PE :lol:

Headers

Fig eating Badgers

#8 Post by Headers »

That blasted fox has been rummaging through the compost heap and then moved on to my tomato bed. Total carnage. Dug 1 plant up completely, mined under several of the others.
I have spent 3 hours today trying to recover the plants to a state where the toms can finish ripening. I was heading for a bumper crop. I’m expecting another raid tonight!

Quiksilver

Fig eating Badgers

#9 Post by Quiksilver »

If you're not sentimental about foxes and you have an asso de chasse in your commune, @Headers have a word with the Prés, he'll organise a battue.
We've just lost another hen....this time to buzzards :( That just about makes the full set, apart from fox attack.

Grangela

Fig eating Badgers

#10 Post by Grangela »

I was a bit disappointed when I looked closer at this post. I had imagined a giant fig eating badgers!