Cloud Seeding

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
Bayleaf

Cloud Seeding

#1 Post by Bayleaf »

I only recently came across this as a real thing happening! :roll: I thought it was only the stuff of Sci Fi. Nope, it turns out quite a few countries do it - including France.

Seriously, it cannot be a good thing to start interfering with the natural course of weather like this?

Lori

Cloud Seeding

#2 Post by Lori »

Yes, I had read about it a long time ago, but at that time, there didn't seem to be a strong consensus that it was successful.

If the Dubai thing is truly a result of cloud seeding, I'd be shocked.

Considering the severe lack of water in many parts of the world, I would think if they could do this with more precision, it could be useful.

exile

Cloud Seeding

#3 Post by exile »

I was in Istanbul some 30 years ago. They were in the midst of a major drought with many districts having their water turned off for 22 hours each day. The day after we arrived it was announced that they were cloud seeding and for 2 days it poured and poured.

The thing about cloud seeding is that there has to be cloud (obviously) which is sufficiently laden with water that it might well rain.
So it is open to debate if cloud seeding actually does anything apart from provoking what was going to happen anyway.
Certainly the weather experts are saying they don't think cloud seeding had any major impact on what happened in Dubai.

Pathca

Cloud Seeding

#4 Post by Pathca »

I’ve seen denials about Dubai. Sometimes nature throws spectacular events

Hotrodder

Cloud Seeding

#5 Post by Hotrodder »

Cloud seeding has been around for a very long time. I first heard about it being used in the midwest during periods of drought when I was still in school. Even back then there was some doubt about its effectiveness.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

L Austin France

Cloud Seeding

#6 Post by L Austin France »

If I seeded the clouds it would rain weeds.

Loup-garou

Cloud Seeding

#7 Post by Loup-garou »

If I seeded ;) the clouds you'd get beautiful cloud babies.

Hotrodder

Cloud Seeding

#8 Post by Hotrodder »

Not me. I've had "the Op". 8-)
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.