Ukraine

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
Bayleaf

Ukraine

#491 Post by Bayleaf »

Let's take it a step further, and include all those countries that have been colonised by others over the centuries - how far do we go? Give America back to the true Native Americans ..... the list is indeed endless, so yes, putain may think he's in the right, but if that's accepted it could cause a real avalanche - others with better cause than his greedy "special military operation", which at the start was just about eradicating neonazis he claimed were in Ukraine.

Hotrodder

Ukraine

#492 Post by Hotrodder »

It's all in the hands of those near the top of the pyramid. Those with all the money/power/influence to change things.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

exile

Ukraine

#493 Post by exile »

@Blaze
By airing and it seems accepting that it is a valid argument - even if you do not agree with it - you ignore the rights of self determination.

Yes there are Russian speakers. ( The UK has Welsh speakers and France has Breton, Alsatian and Basque speakers). Some may align more with Russia than the Ukraine but democracy points the way. Or at least it should but then historically Russia has had a poor track record on democracy.

Blaze

Ukraine

#494 Post by Blaze »

exile wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:22 pm By airing and it seems accepting that it is a valid argument - even if you do not agree with it - you ignore the rights of self determination.
Where on earth did you get that idea ? Just because I am prepared to listen to other views, doesn't mean to say I accept them !!!

exile

Ukraine

#495 Post by exile »

deleted

Quiksilver

Ukraine

#496 Post by Quiksilver »

Quote of the week from Manu? "But I've told you very clearly what France maintains as its position, which is a strategic ambiguity that I stand by." My French isn't too bad, but I'm blowed if I know what that's supposed to mean :D

Bayleaf

Ukraine

#497 Post by Bayleaf »

@Quiksilver :lol: Sounds like the perfect oxymoron to me!

Is it connected to this story?

"Macron faces EU backlash after suggesting sending troops to Ukraine" - does he want the war to escalate, or is he just being brutally open about what may happen? :shock:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... hip-agreed

Blaze

Ukraine

#498 Post by Blaze »

@Quiksilver I thought the same when I read the BBC article, so I went to the original French !
Here is an article (in French) which makes things a little clearer. Journalists love trying to tie politicians in knots - and sometimes they're good at it.
They have jumped on his "nothing must be excluded" and "never say never" when referring to sending troops to Ukraine. He reminded journalists that 2 years ago, those who were saying "never" were the same who said they would never send long range missiles to Ukraine ...
https://www.bfmtv.com/politique/elysee/ ... 70832.html

@Bayleaf It's highly improbable that Macron would consider sending troops to Ukraine without the consent of NATO. All he was saying was that nothing should be ruled out, he certainly didn't "suggest" sending troops to Ukraine (once again journalists twisting and putting their own interpretation to create headlines). He knows that if France did send in troops without NATO's consent and Russia retaliated, France could find herself isolated.

Quiksilver

Ukraine

#499 Post by Quiksilver »

Yes, it was the BBC article and I did think after posting that it might just have been dodgy translation :D
Macron is probably just indulging in a bit of posturing to try to distract from problems nearer to home :roll:

Blaze

Ukraine

#500 Post by Blaze »

Ah, now that makes sense, Quiksilver !