BBC missing

exile

BBC missing

#11 Post by exile »

I wonder what the reactions will be because like France there are currently vast swathes of the UK where broadband is but a dream. You say all of the UK, that I highly doubt. Remote villages in the North of England? Farmsteads in the Highlands and Islands? It is like the old boasts of the mobile network that they covered 95% of the UK. And that was true if the mobile user was at home (as today they probably are) but at the time 95% of the people at home covered rather less than 60% of the landmass and surely the purpose of a mobile is to use it "not at home".

When the Bilsdale mast caught fire in August 2021 over 1 million households were without any TV access. There were huge gaps then and I suggest will be in the future for many years to come.

elsie

BBC missing

#12 Post by elsie »

Two articles giving more on the future of services:

Timeline of changes to Freeview and satellite TV
https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/timeline-of-c ... ellite-tv/

BBC Boss wants to drop Freeview in online-only move
https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/bbc-boss-want ... only-move/

Hotrodder

BBC missing

#13 Post by Hotrodder »

exile wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:57 pm I wonder what the reactions will be because like France there are currently vast swathes of the UK where broadband is but a dream. You say all of the UK, that I highly doubt. Remote villages in the North of England? Farmsteads in the Highlands and Islands? It is like the old boasts of the mobile network that they covered 95% of the UK. And that was true if the mobile user was at home (as today they probably are) but at the time 95% of the people at home covered rather less than 60% of the landmass and surely the purpose of a mobile is to use it "not at home".

When the Bilsdale mast caught fire in August 2021 over 1 million households were without any TV access. There were huge gaps then and I suggest will be in the future for many years to come.
If push comes to shove I'll take the telly to the tip. Broadband here is 5mb/s at the moment so will probably not be enough for TV. We are about 5km "as the crow flies" from the nearest mobile network tower but we have no signal here at home. Clearly mobile network signals don't have the ability to fly "over" the hill that lies between here and the tower. Unless some new technology arrives in the next few years we will be living once more in the Dark Ages.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

elsie

BBC missing

#14 Post by elsie »

@ Hotrodder
From a quick search, these are the very high speed internet plans for Brittany
https://www.thdbretagne.bzh/12517-particuliers.htm
which should be available to all by 2026
https://www.bretagneportedeloire.fr/tres-haut-debit/

Hotrodder

BBC missing

#15 Post by Hotrodder »

The coloured "pastilles" are clearly absent for a distance of kilometres around my ville. Says it all.

Do you have a link to Pere Noel and the Tooth Fairy?
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Loup-garou

BBC missing

#16 Post by Loup-garou »

Just a "Heads-Up".

On Freesat, via my Humax box, BBC1 SD became BBC1 HD (last night I think). But anything I had set to record as a series on any channels which have changed - the instruction to record the series was lost. That is to say it did not transfer the instruction to the new channel, even if that channel took on the old channel's number.

Maybe worth a check. :ugeek:

Hotrodder

BBC missing

#17 Post by Hotrodder »

You are correct. BBC1 did something funny last night. We don't have a HD box but we found the HD channel and it shows OK.

Liz

BBC missing

#18 Post by Liz »

On our Freesat box, BBC 1 followed my instruction to come up automatically as East Anglia East (not Corby or anywhere else which is not properly East Anglian)
Now after the main news it just goes to a red background and tells me hd is where to go
Have not yet worked out how to get BBC 1 HD set to my preferred region.
Sigh.
ITV on this box has always given us us south London/kent, no idea why!
How do people live without at least one dog in the house?

elsie

BBC missing

#19 Post by elsie »

What brand of Freesat box is it? The regional channels should follow the postcode settings in setup

Chappers51

BBC missing

#20 Post by Chappers51 »

I can’t help you Liz but I’ve lost BBC1 and HD.
I was doing something with my télécommande last week and somehow managed to delete the channel from my hummax box, it’s not on the channel list. I’m now trying to work out how to reinstall without going back to default setting and so losing things I’ve recorded. Life used to be so much easier.