Amazon deliveries

🛒 Tips and information about French shops, online buying, bargains, product reviews, price comparisons
Lori

Amazon deliveries

#21 Post by Lori »

Polarengineer wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:28 pm Just to remind you folks (as I'm sure you all know) a fridge should not be started until a day after delivery. This allows the compressor oil to drain back into the compressor. One cannot rely on the transporters to carry it upright.
I had no idea. I did know that fridge's are supposed to be transported upright, but did not know that tidbit on what to do if they haven't been. So, thanks for that.

Loup-garou

Amazon deliveries

#22 Post by Loup-garou »

Polarengineer wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:28 pm Just to remind you folks (as I'm sure you all know) a fridge should not be started until a day after delivery. This allows the compressor oil to drain back into the compressor. One cannot rely on the transporters to carry it upright.
:clap: :clap: Yes thanks Polarengineer, I did know that. In fact, another option was for the deliverers to turn on the appliance and test everything is working (this would have cost 10€). Given that this was a fridge/freezer I declined.

exile

Amazon deliveries

#23 Post by exile »

It is good advice but todays packaging means that if they are not stored and transported upright, they are likely to suffer significant damage externally. The days of an appliance surrounded by sheets of expanded polystyrene and then placed in a cardboard box, have been replaced by a shaped expanded polystyrene based designed to fit tightly around the bottom of the appliance and then a plastic shrink hood - just possibly with another shaped polystyrene block on the top but frequently not.

rabbit

Amazon deliveries

#24 Post by rabbit »

niemeyjt wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:00 pm Well I suspect a lack of customers is as likely as higher running costs - so my suggestion is things like lack of / expensive car parking as more and more councils look at ways to hammer the motorists to fill their coffers and owners of privately owned land employ cowboy clampers.
and out of town supermarkets and shopping centres with easy and free parking.

Mangetout

Amazon deliveries

#25 Post by Mangetout »

I know I'm out of kilter with you all but I just don't feel comfortable using Amazon. I know they provide a first class service but the downside is much bigger than that. A company which dominates as Amazon does will eventually control what you can buy, it will close down small business and worst of all avoids paying tax. So it's a no from me.

L Austin France

Amazon deliveries

#26 Post by L Austin France »

Mangetout wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:55 am I know I'm out of kilter with you all but I just don't feel comfortable using Amazon. I know they provide a first class service but the downside is much bigger than that. A company which dominates as Amazon does will eventually control what you can buy, it will close down small business and worst of all avoids paying tax. So it's a no from me.
Fair enough ! each to their own.
I get where you're coming from & don't disagree but;
Thing is, from Amazon I can get what I want , when I want & at a price & service I'm more than happy with.
In doing so I'm invariably buying products from many suppliers who are more than happy to piggy back off Amazon & who would otherwise struggle to find such a large market at a price they could afford.
I can't remember a time in my life when anyone other than close family & friends has ever seriously given a toss about me, so, in my dotage I'm not overly concerned with how my purchasing actions impact on others lives. :)

exile

Amazon deliveries

#27 Post by exile »

:clap:
When our local bookshop sells English books, I will buy from there.
When the local supermarket sellsexotic herbs and spices, I will buy them there.
When the local white goods store sells UK Freesat boxes, I will buy from there

Until then, Amazon gets a small part of my expenditure.

Mangetout

Amazon deliveries

#28 Post by Mangetout »

I completely understand why people use Amazon. Perhaps they could open up a school for business leaders and share their expertise :D

Hotrodder

Amazon deliveries

#29 Post by Hotrodder »

And best of all, Amazon doesn't shut for lunch.
I just wish they would sort out their apalling website and stop trying to trick people into signing up accidentally for Prime.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

L Austin France

Amazon deliveries

#30 Post by L Austin France »

Hotrodder wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:31 pm And best of all, Amazon doesn't shut for lunch.
I just wish they would sort out their apalling website and stop trying to trick people into signing up accidentally for Prime.
I've never done the sums but am sure we're well in pocket paying for Prime against individual carriage charges on the stuff we buy.
So much easier ordering say a 6 euro 'thing' knowing the cost of the article will not be doubled by delivery costs. :D