It's chicken feed

đź›’ Tips and information about French shops, online buying, bargains, product reviews, price comparisons
L Austin France

It's chicken feed

#1 Post by L Austin France »

How much do folk pay for grain to feed their chooks?
We get ours direct from a local farmer & a pal has just delivered 100kg direct from his silo.
The cost was €32 with a delivery charge of umpteen glasses of rosé. :D

Hotrodder

It's chicken feed

#2 Post by Hotrodder »

Some time ago a 25kg sack was around €8, now its up to about €12+. I have to hand it out in dribs & drabs. I used to just fill up the feeder but the wild birds discovered it and ate more than the hens.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Quiksilver

It's chicken feed

#3 Post by Quiksilver »

Blimey..€12?! A bag of mixed concassé round here varies from €19 on promo to €25 full whack. I found out the hard way that unless you've got hermetic storage, it's inviting trouble in the form of grain weevil to stock a big quantity of feed.

L Austin France

It's chicken feed

#4 Post by L Austin France »

Quiksilver wrote: ↑Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:37 am I found out the hard way that unless you've got hermetic storage, it's inviting trouble in the form of grain weevil to stock a big quantity of feed.
We've been storing up to 100kg of grain for years with no problems.
It's kept in a large plastic barrel topped with a slab of old worktop. Farmers keep grain for feed in huge silos. Maybe it's a problem in your area.

Hotrodder

It's chicken feed

#5 Post by Hotrodder »

I don't buy the way more expensive concasse stuff, just the pellets. The girls are allowed to free range over two acres during the day and they spend the whole time scratching about looking for grubs as well as eating grass. I store the feed in one of those blue plastic barrels with its close fitting top.

Just before coming to France I worked for Lush cosmetics and the car park was full of those barrels that had been carrying propylene glycol (or something like that). Tough as old boots with a waterproof lid. Every trip to France I brought as many as I could. Great for rat proof storage, etc.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.